Chip, I tend to agree with you. Couple that to the tendency for electric cars
be best in the sorts of roles that we would least want to be played by cars,
and
the electric car begins to fill me with dread. Yes, the electric has a vast
advantage over any sort of IC propulsion in that it consumes nothing at all sat
still in gridlock, but do we then cultivate gridlock in order to have the
benefit of that?

A few points others might not have thought of:

1. Cheap mobility is a bit like cheap food. The latter doesn't solve world
hunger: on the contrary, it undermines people's ability to generate food for
themselves. Just so cheap(er) mobility won't make people mobile, it will much
more tend to stimulate development that capitalises on greater available
mobility, thereby increasing everyone's need for mobility. On balance we'll
probably be further away from anything like "surplus mobility". How much
potential is there for urban expansion? We're very far from physically running
out of space, so there is a lot of room for the problem to get worse. I for one
don't want the Cape winelands to turn into suburbs.

2. Then, of course, an increase in the prevalent need for mobility translates
into an increase in the need for electricity. Most do the math based on
existing
levels of mobility, but that isn't a given. Just like builders of power
stations
"respond" to anticipated "demand" for electricity as if that were something
self-creating and inevitable. I've seen the typical number of light sources in
moderately luxurious living room go from four or five to sixty or so in
response
to "efficient" lighting. The overall current draw has increased. Just like the
potential for generating new places we need to go is probably endless, we can
likely go on dreaming up new needs for electricity for ever.

3. Most comparisons assume the sorts of batteries that are currently in use.
Substituting a battery type that is more open to local small-scale manufacture,
like the Edison cell, changes the picture entirely. And other types have
serious
manufacturing issues. Edison cells are really very well suited to static
applications, but are huge and heavy for their current capacity.

4. Electric propulsion isn't really complex. That's why the major automakers
have been holding back. That's why GM only leased their previous EV: they
didn't
want people modifying them (they certainly didn't want people sticking IC
drivetrains in them!) The automakers were waiting for a way to make EVs complex
enough (unobtanium-goofium batteries), and they wanted legislation to "force"
them, in the way corporations provoke legislation in order to build positions
of
privilege. The major automakers really want to make EVs, as they're much more
like cellphones than like grandfather clocks to make, and likely to be highly
disposable to boot, but they don't want to open themselves up to competition
from all kinds of upstart start-ups in the process.

Electric vehicles have their place. Trams and tractors can best make use of
electric propulsion, not cars. Given the right sort of battery we're looking at
heavy, high-torque vehicles. In a car that's the old gently-humming phone booth
type, which is a solution to the sort of problem that is far better solved by
walking.

Regards

Dawie Coetzee