Hi James

When I pull a silicon crystal the melt is sitting at ~1450 deg C so I
have some feel for the problems you are hinting at without ever having
touched a stirling engine. The point I was going for was that diversity
is key.  One of my friends who is off grid has no problem producing more
energy (in different forms) at different times than he needs, but what
is really needed is a good all purpose storage system so that the
production peaks and valleys can be leveled out versus usage peaks and
valleys.  One also needs to consider the options for usage.  For example
there are more options for the usage and storage of energy in an
electrical form than thermal although I cannot ignore that nature found
the most parsimony in the humble carbon bond. Electricity when used
wisely offers high efficiency as well but in terms of solar conversion
thermal is king. It will be a long time indeed before we hit a quantum
efficiency in PV anywhere near 60% I think although nanomaterials look
promising. One of the most interesting storage systems I have come
across is the vanadium redox cell which has a virtually infinite shelf
life with its zero self discharge characteristic. High current
capability in both charge and discharge as well made it look very
attractive for any non mobile usage scenario. A great BIG battery. I
haven't heard much from VRB power systems lately so I assume there is a
catch somewhere with that technology but it sure sounded promising when
I studied it. Link
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanadium_redox_battery  If you have
any reality to share on it I'd appreciate hearing. Things have also gone
very quiet with solarmission and the solar updraft tower, I don't know
if you are aware of that one here's a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower>
Both of these ideas address the load leveling issue although with the
updraft tower I think it came as a pleasant surprise to its designers!

Joe