A nice study in educated derision, Dawie.

Starting, I suppose, with the notion that a place "such as San
Francisco" could be considered a local community. No doubt there are
many functional local communities within it, but the thing itself is
a city. Parr probably puts it correctly when he talks of policies -
when cities look at policies they don't see the same thing as local
communities see.

I share your scepticism of economies-of-scale - just a doctrine
indeed, and in whose bible? IMHO when economies of scale become
operative, it's too big to serve anybody's best interests except the
corporations' - not mom-and-poppable. Eg:

"Small family and part-time farms are at least as efficient as larger
commercial operations. There is evidence of diseconomies of scale as
farm size increases." -- "Are Large Farms More Efficient?" Professor
Willis L. Peterson, University of Minnesota, 1997. Download (Acrobat
file, 52kb):
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/13411/1/p97-02.pdf

Colin Tudge also says that. So does the IAASTD report (International
Assessment of Agricultural Knowledge, Science and Technology for
Development). So do lots of people, including me.

Small farms
http://journeytoforever.org/farm.html

I also happen to think that birds, like just about everything else
that really matters, are more important than corporate profits.

All best

Keith