Well,

despite what 'we all know', viz the growing of crops in a way that
doesn't destroy the earth, but rather sustains, even improves the
fertility of the soil, and all that.

Contemporary 'agribusiness' style agriculture being what it is, I'm
still completely unclear on the EROEI of fuel-crops.

Some folks I know grew 7 acres of sunflower last year, and had a
marvelous harvest. They managed to scrape together with some neighbors
enough money to buy a 40 yr/o small (by modern standards) harvester
and a similar vintage oil press. I don't know the numbers, but they
were quite pleased with yields. This spring, the sunflowers are going
into a different field, according to their plan for soil management
and all that. I'm unclear on their science, but I'll know more
as I become more familiar with their operation in the coming years.
They are pretty sharp folks.

The number folks keep kicking around is by modern agricultural practices
it takes 10 calories of energy to produce 1 calorie of fuel(food).

I often get lost and bogged down in the vast maze of details surrounding
all this.

Anyone help?