From: "Darryl McMahon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:36:44 PM
Subject: [Biofuel] Seeking Help - Lister-Petter 1-cylinder diesel engine

Background

Neither my son or I are really heat engine kind of people.  I'm more
about electric drive stuff, and my son is an aviation electronics
technician.  So, where my ignorance of diesel engines shows through, my
apologies in advance.

I received this engine a few years ago, effectively for free.  I figured
a small diesel should be hard to really break, and it might come in
useful someday.  Now, I have 2 or 3 potential uses for it.

The previous owner had it for several years, and never tried to start
it.  He delivered it to me covered with a cardboard box, saying it was a
Lombardini.  According to him, the owner before him had stored it for
several years, and never tried to start it.  The story is that the
original application for the engine was to power highway information
signs before the LED / photovoltaic panel age.

In the past few days, my son and I have found ourselves with an
unaccustomed amount of free garage floor space, and some time (mostly
due to other projects not appearing, not having parts available, or
dropping in priority).  Our current objective is to get the engine
running.  If successful, we will then invest in upgrading/replacing all
the consumables (filters, hoses).

We took the cardboard off to find it is not a Lombardini, but a
Lister-Petter.  It has an electric starter - including solenoid - and
what appears to be a heavy-duty alternator attached (driven by a
V-belt.  The latter would be consistent with the highway sign
application.  No fuel tank.  At least one fuel-related hose was cut.  No
electrical wiring of any kind still attached.  No keys or obvious
keyholes.  There is a Made in England sticker on the top of it.

No documentation of any kind came with the engine.  The name plate
indicates it is a AC1 model, which means it likely dates from somewhere
between 1970 and 1985.

http://www.winget.co.uk/document/LISTER%20PETTER%20AC-AD%20OPERATORS%20MANUAL.pdf

We have been consulting this documentation for information.  Parts manual:

http://www.stategen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stategen_lister-petter_ac1_ad1_parts.pdf

Operations manual:

http://www.winget.co.uk/document/LISTER%20PETTER%20AC-AD%20OPERATORS%20MANUAL.pdf

Recent Activity

We have changed the oil (2.7 litres of diesel oil put in, which agrees
with just over full on the dipstick.  The old oil was quite unattractive.

We jury-rigged a fuel tank from a go-kart fuel tank (scavenged from
another electric conversion project).  We bought fresh fuel, cleaned out
the tank with methanol, and put the fuel in the tank and pressurized the
fuel side sufficiently to find a leak in one of the hoses that came with
the engine, downstream from the fuel filter - so fuel is getting at
least that far.  Jury-rigged a repair for that - no further leaking.
Exhaust system is in place.  The air filter is filthy, so we have
removed it for commissioning purposes.  (Will definitely replace it if
we can get the engine running, along with the fuel and oil filters).

We tried rope-starting yesterday.  About all we concluded from that
exercise (and I mean that literally) was that the cylinder seems to have
good compression, and the decompressor lever is effective.  We have
tried the stop/run lever in both positions, and that made no difference.

Today we attached casters to the frame to make it easier to move around,
and worked out the connections for the electric starter, replaced the
missing wiring, attached a battery and proved up the solenoid and
starter motor.  At least I hope we can retire the starting rope as a
result.  We turned the engine over and proved the starter turns the
cylinder in the same direction as the rope starter (given it is Lucas
starter and solenoid, we weren't really sure if it would be positive or
negative ground.  We are using negative ground, and that appears to be
working.  Like I said, I'm more an electrics kind of guy.)  We rolled
the engine on electric power several times, for up to 30 seconds, but no
evidence of ignition, no smoke, white or black.  Looks like we might
have some raw fuel coming out the exhaust pipe.

Still Not Running

However, it still is not running.  We're looking for more information.
A couple of possible clues from the Web.

"I've had this engine for a while now and with the cold weather and
getting caught up on the regular jobs I drug it out again to see if we
could get it to run. First we mounted it good and solid, put some fuel
in a can ran an electric pump as a lift pump, had to replace the return
lines as they were shot. Checked for mice in the air cleaner and blew
the filter out. It had been in the barn for several years. Hooked up a
temporary wiring system to start it. Started pumping fuel through it and
bleeding the air out and bleeding the air out and...... Try to start it
and bleed the high presure lines several times. Still no white smoke
when turning it over, pull the injector clean it up put it back in do
the same with the pump. Ha now we are getting fuel but lots of air.
Crank and crank we have white smoke. Bleed more, crank more. Then it
hits, dies, hits, stumbles and away it goes smoke bellowing out the
exhaust. Tools falling off the table from the vibration trying to hold
the battery down. Man this thing is pretty cool, now the shop is filling
with smoke, spiders come crawling out of the shroud. Open the doors and
let it run."

(http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?s=6c4f8369d1d089176ea05a138b87bef5&t=35564)

Another that says the direct injector has a characteristic squeak if it
is working correctly, which we don't recall from either our rope
starting or electric starting attempts.  Perhaps that is gummed up from
dried fuel after many years of storage.

Thoughts on those two possibilities?  Any other ideas we should be trying?

Anyone know where we can find a service manual for this engine?

Thanks for your time.

--
Darryl McMahon
The Emperor's New Hydrogen Economy