Darryl,
 I have a slightly different view of your response to the Rifkin article. I
will start by agreeing with your last paragraph which largely points out the
rise of large capital (& responding political influence).
 I think some of the issues we are experiencing is a result of the grab for
control by corporations where they are lobbying governments to 'protect' their
market. As an Australian, we have power companies that are frightened by the
growth of solarpower. In Australia we now have a 'connection cost' that is
growing. This cost is to supply the backbone. I fear in the future we will be
charged if the power is available, even if we do not connect to the grid! With
the availability of cheaper batteries (& particularly recycled Electric car
batteries in the future (1)
 In Australia we have a Medicare that gives free Medical to all citizens. The
actual cost to taxpayers is LESS than the government outlay per citizen in the
USA. Unfortunately greed is causing a few creaks in the seams bcause the
differential wages between low , average & high wage earners, so Doctors want
to charge a Co-payment that will degrade the concept of the service. We still
have Private insurers & Health Providers, but up to now all basic health
requirement has been covered.

 One of the comments in the article was regarding the rise of Open Source: both
Hardware & Software. I am an avid Open Source user. The rise of 3D printers
will increase this use. I can think of making parts for my classic motorcycle
for instance (such as Blinker lenses). I also need to print an HDPE Normally
closed float valve for my pool. I feel the Open Source movement has grown due
to the inefficiencies & greed of the Patent system. Companies can either lend
or give patents to the open source movement, or document patentable systems so
prior art is established. Personally I feel the patent system now actually
restricts development. There seems to be limited natural research these days.
In days of yore, we had the CSIRO in Australia that was responsible for many
discoveries including things used in the Space race, Agriculture, Electronics &
software, etc. Unfortunately in the last few years our Governments have given
little funding to CSIRO, so much time is now wasted on finding private funding
(a Geologist friend said 30% of his time was wasted on finding funding: he is
now retired.) This 'waste' must be absorbed by the system, most probably by
increased cost for the final product.
 My comment as a consumer is to ensure that any electronics I buy are Hackable:
my phone has an upgraded operating system installed (from the XDA site). Also
items such as my Router is to be loaded with Gargoyle. Even though I am still
working, we try to live softly on the planet. I feel using closed source items
such as the most popular operating system, or the systems supplied by the
fruity manufacturer are limiting my rights to my data, so would never be
purchased. I am particularly concerned on the invasion of privacy by Big
Brother. Some might be required for security, but I feel much is now collected
for spurious institutional reasons.
 As a final comment, I am surprised at the Opposition to a basic Health cover
in the US. When I see the quality of life of all Australians, rich or poor,
supplied by the Medicare system at a lower cost than the US now pays, I wonder
why the poor do not revolt! There must be so much unnecessary suffering because
quality Health care is not easily available. My perception is the only winners
are the super-rich that may pay slightly less tax. (The Medicare rate is now
1.5% of taxable income, an affordable amount. If you do not earn, you are still
covered.)
 I am particularly concerned by the huge spread of wages, & the growing
differential between the super rich & super poor. We have a handful of super
rich mining magnates that spent less than $10M for advertising (that is
probably tax-deductable!) to stop the Australian Mining Tax that would have
cost them $4bn in tax over the next few years. Unfortunately this revenue must
now be paid by general taxpayers mainly by reduced services. (the Doctors
co-Payment would be an example).

Enough rant,
Regards Doug

(1) An Island in Japan now has used recycled batteries for Solar backup to
replace Diesel power
<http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Renewable-Energy/Japan-Looks-at-Recycling-Vehicle-Batteries-for-Renewable-Power.html>

Doug <lema...@internode.on.net>