have the refrigerant removed before spending an
additional 16 hours of time removing, installing,
modifying.

#1: A morning or afternoon or evening project w. little/no
    cash outlay to repair something you know works.
#3: A good day project; $100 for materials on a proven
    technology
vs

#2: 2 mornings/afternoons travelling
    2 good days' work
    $180 additional in materials, fuel and services.

  My thinking generally goes:
     - will it work?
     - can I do it?
     - will it decrease my demand for fossil fuels?
     - can I afford it?

  Thinking my way, and if I had the ability, I would do
all three projects you mentioned, doing #2 then #3 (as
this is summer) and complete #1 as cool weather
approached.

  I know there is value in analysis -----> payback period,
and I know that I am stubborn, but if everyone who could
afford solar or wind "capture" systems did so, the prices
would come down so that more could afford, etc.

             Thanks for all you do,
                         Tom