I am trying to find out more about the beehouses used in Switzerland (and
other mountainous regions in Europe).  There's very little info on them
here in the US, but the standard langstroth hive does not work as well in
cold winter climates, from what I can gather.  And, they require electric
fences for any protection from bears, and even with them, bear invasions
are common in the mountains.  But, they're cheap... the US way of doing
things.    I am considering making a trip to Switzerland next summer to
research these more and see how they function, however, I need to get some
contacts there first and see if it's possible to set up a tour of
beehouses, etc. My not speaking German is not helping the research ;)
But, I figured this list might have some ideas.

Thanks

Zeke