Escravos, Nigeria Ñ Unarmed village women holding 700 ChevronTexaco workers
inside a southeast Nigeria oil terminal let 200 of the men go Sunday but
threatened a traditional and powerful shaming gesture if the others try to
leave Ñ removing their own clothes.

"Our weapon is our nakedness," said Helen Odeworitse, a representative for
the villagers in the extraordinary week-old protest for jobs, electricity
and development in Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta.

Most Nigerian tribes consider unwanted displays of nudity by wives, mothers
or grandmothers as an extremely damning protest measure that can inspire a
collective source of shame for those at whom the action is directed.

About 600 women from two nearby communities are holding ChevronTexaco's
giant Escravos terminal. They range in age from 30 to 90 Ñ with the core
group being married women aged 40 or older.

The women want the oil giant to hire their sons and use some of the region's
oil riches to develop their remote and run-down villages Ñ most of which
lack even electricity. The people in the Niger Delta are among the poorest
in Nigeria, despite living on the oil-rich land.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/front/RTGAM/20020714/wnige14
7/Front/homeBN/breakingnews

Save on REALTOR Fees
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9bTolB/TM