Andreas,
  you'll need IE5.5+ to get vml.
This app is crazy fast with little effort within ie. Sug: the little
gifs are ready on server + iexplorer gives them the ability to
present this glossy responsive ui. (DirectX image processing , vml
graphing, info bubble, etcpp., with transparency all over the
place...)
(Not worth mentioning ie doesn't rasterize vml for printing.)

Doug
  mapping apps are quite often about request+instant response: I
cannot see any sensible usecase concerning flash. I guess the google
workload concerning the result rendering (following db query) is
moderate. After all, they're using a simple convincing design.
Same thing has been tried with svg many times. Many times it got
spoiled by unacceptable performance, workarounds leading to
cluttered design, complicated plugin/browser integration and
fragmentary printing support (add custom act of desperation
here...).

Svg is not to blame for it.
If Svg wouldn't be there, MS vml would have become apparent all over
the place?
My point: Googlemaps implemented in svg would have been the killer
showcase for svg.

It's odds on that it is not going to happen..

Regards
Paul

PS: Google is a great company, still they cannot ignore their user
base. Companies hardly turn down money on religious browser
questions?

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Neumann"