As I wrote above, "There is an if/else switch in the code that forks
between IE and everything else. If the client is using IE, the path
from A to B is drawn via VML. Otherwise, the path is drawn as a
separate image and is placed on top of the map."

So, for FF it does not use VML, but uses an outside image. Only in IE
is VML used.

Which, btw, makes me wonder: why? Why not just do it the same way in
IE as in non-IE? Maybe it's a way for them to ease the load off the
path-drawing server-app? Can that really be a reason? Why duplicate
the effort in the code? I would guess they'd *like* it if everything
happened client-side.

They could be waiting for FF (and Moz) builds to include (non ASV, but
native Mozilla) SVG support as standard and then they'd just have to
modify their VML generation slightly to generate SVG. The reason: IE5+
supports VML without asking the user to install any plugins and so
would a FF build with SVG. The point is to avoid asking the user to
install anything extra. So my guess is that Google is betting on SVG
being included standard/native into Mozilla-built browsers and they do
not care so much about ASV.

--Misha