Hi,

   A single path with a thousand line segments (M x11,y11 L x12,y12 M x21,
y21, L x22, y22, ...)
will display/update in a small fraction of the time that a thousand line
elements will
(they will also take much less memory).

   Another trick is to replace the circle elements with a single path with
a circle Marker.  Then the path will be just move commands.

   The drawback to both of these is that you lose the ability to track
events, set properties
etc. on individual elements.

   Finally it wouldn't surprise me if the text was a major part of the
rendering time.
You might try 'removing' elements from the document to see what makes a
difference.  You can play a similar game with text where you can have all
of your text in one element and use 'tspan' to position each piece
separately.
I am less certain of the win in this case.