> create two
> versions one more blurred and the other less, and then use a mask that
> fades from one to the other from top to bottom.

Is this what you had in mind : http://leunen.d.free.fr/prog-blur.svg ? Yes,
it is an approximation of a real progressive blur. But not perfect, and it
cannot be achieved with a filter
Here is another approximation on the x-axis "blur" only :
http://leunen.d.free.fr/progr-blur2.svg. The drawback of this workaround is
to be non-scalable, a pity for *S*vg.

So, I'm really stuck I guess.
I have to hope that the svg-ig will convince the wg to add this feature to
svg 1.2. (thanks for forwarding)

Speaking of new feature, and to avoid that the filter module misses some
(features), I wonder how this kind of effect would make sense :

<script>
function myEffect(in, x, y) {
  // compute and return the RGBA color
  // of the destination pixel,
  // with full access to the source raster (in)
}
</script>

<feCustom in="SourceGraphic" function="myEffect" />

This would allow me to program my own progressive blur, skew,... or any
other crazy stuffs that come in my mind.
"in" would be an object that gives access to the rgba colors of the input
pixels. "x" and "y", the coordinates of the target pixel. Maybe other
parameters would be useful, but i can't think of any others.
It would make the filter modul turing-complete.
What do you think ? Does it make any sense ?
If it does, should I forward this to the swg-wg...