Ever since I began with SVG I have looked forward to creating
successful animations ( of multiple lever interactions over time)
using SMIL but I am still waiting for a time when the majority of
browsers can produce a smooth result.

The following example from w3 is a simple illustration of the problem:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/images/animate/anim01.svg>

I work on the Mac and have Firefox 8 (latest beta), Opera 11.51 and
Safari Version 5.1.1 (6534.51.22).

Of these, only Safari produces a smooth animation. Both the others
show a jerky progression that is quite unsuitable for the accurate
representation of the mechanisms I wish to show.  As a result I
continue to create my animations from multiple frames, creating the
frames using a Perl script, converting the frames to PDF and then
making a Quicktime movie from the result.

How 'good' Safari is on Windows I don't know, but in any case it
would be an odd stipulation to insist that "this page must be viewed
in Safari".

What are the chances that the main browsers will in the near future
resolve the difficulties they have in producing good moving pictures
in SVG?

JD