At 14:01 -0400 17/10/11, Erik Dahlstrom wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 03:52:58 -0400, John Delacour <j...@bd8.com> wrote:

>>  <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/images/animate/anim01.svg>
>
>The "jerkiness" you see is due to selecting different font-sizes, it's not
>a SMIL issue. You'd get a smoother animation if the same glyph outlines
>were used all the time.

Thanks Erik, but that doesn't explain why it has no jerkiness in
Safari, and the code doesn't actually referto font-size in the
animation.  The text is specified as

font-family="Verdana" font-size="35.27"

which presumably gives a fixed path composed of the glyphs for that size

and the animation, as I would understand it

       <animateTransform attributeName="transform" attributeType="XML"
            type="scale" from="1" to="3" additive="sum"
            begin="3s" dur="6s" fill="freeze" />

changes the scale of that path and performs no operation on the XML
attribute "font-size".  No matter how I change the duration or the
scale range I get the same changing kerning.  Is that logical?

In Firefox there is jerkiness and besides, the font color remains
black instead of changing as it should.  The relative movement and
change of shape of the characters is worst in Opera, and in Safari
everything seems to happen as it should.

I did not suggest it was a SMIL issue;  I suggested it was a browser
issue with SMIL and that Firefox and Opera are clearly missing
something that Safari has not missed.

JD