cremnosedum <rich...@pixelpalaces.com> wrote:

> Freehostia recently suspended my web site for a day because it had  too much
>traffic. Generally this would be good as it would indicate that a lot  of
>people
>are visiting my site. However, Google Analytics shows a depressingly  small
>number of visitors. I think the most likely cause is people viewing SVGZ
>files
>without looking at other pages. If so, this would be an issue as these  site
>visitors are missing my advertising links etc. so this is denying me  revenue.
>AFAIK, you can't put the code for Google Analytics on SVGZ files or  rather it
>doesn't work (I've tried). My real question is if there's some way to  monitor
>accessing of SVGZ files. You can put Google Analytics code on links to  detect
>if people follow them but that's no use if people are just going straight  to
>the SVGZ files, which I suspect is the case.
>
> For that matter, is there  a way to link to somebody else's SVGZ files (not
>copying the files but accessing  them on the other person's site) on your
>website and preventing people who view  them from clicking on their links (or
>perhaps changing their links)? This would  explain the high traffic and low
>Google Analytics stats. Am I being overly  paranoid?
>
> Yes I did try asking on the Google Analytics forum about using  Google
>Analytics on SVGZ files but haven't had a reply. A lot of people are  posting
>things to the effect that they think Google Analytics is underating  their
>visitors so perhaps there's some other problem.
>
> I'm also a bit  puzzeled that I seem to be getting a lot of visitors from
> Japan
>although the  site is in English.

English is the lingua Franka of the 21st century and even
for the Japanese who do not speak it there are translation
pages available online.

AFAIK there is no way to link to someone else's SVGZ and
prevent the viewer from clicking on links therein. I could
be possible to place someone else's SVG in your webpage
(HTML or SVG) and prevent clicking by having your own
event sniffers.

My suggestion, FWIIW, would be to rename your SVGZ and
replace the links on the site or to put your images in HTML
documents so you can add the Analytics.

YMMV.

I must be travelling,
Jason

tc+ ?23 ?mgt mt tne ?t20 t4++ ?t5 ?tp tg+ ?th ?to
ru- ge++ 3i c++ jt- au+ ls pi+ ta+ he+
kk++ hi+ as+ va+ dr ?ith vr ne so+ zh vi da sy