On Sat, 11 Aug 2018, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

Thanks for instant response. That page refers to old versions of 3 things.
"The workaround #1 is very specific to Wheezy (libc < 2.19 and kernel <
3.12). Later distributions fixed issues #1 and #2. #3 is because libunbound
is too old."

The Ubuntu 16.04 box in question has:

It is still a combination of things.

In file included from
/usr/src/libreswan-3.25/programs/pluto/linux-copy/linux/xfrm.h:5:0,

It is using the linux-copy instead of the system one. If your system is
that new, you can try:

echo USE_XFRM_HEADER_COPY=false >> Makefile.inc.local

Sorry if I'm being dense. But I'm not sure what that page is suggesting I
need to do. Following the Executive Summary with its Makefile.inc.local
creating, then "make deb," is not it, and fails in same way I reported
before:

dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Rules-Requires-Root' in input
data in general section of control info file
dpkg-source: error: cannot read
libreswan-3.25/debian/patches/0003-update-README.nss-to-match-debian-defaults-for-IPSEC.patch:
 No such file or directory
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -i --before-build libreswan-3.25 gave
error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1376:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -i -b failed
Makefile:608: recipe for target 'deb' failed
make: *** [deb] Error 29

The patch was removed from our debian patches directory, but the entry
for the patch was not removed from the list in packaging/debian/patches/series
(we since recreated the patch because it changes paths in the documentation)

You can just remove the entry from packaging/debian/patches/series as it only
patches a README file. (or grab the latest git master from github)

Paul