"Stephen S. Lee" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Jim Leonard wrote:
> [snip]
> > 1. Why do you snipe when you can just enter in a maximum and walk away?
>
> * If you bid early, and you bid primarily on game software, bidding early
>   says loud and clear, "look!  cool stuff!"  (I actually find some of the
>   stuff I get by searching for certain early-bidders.  It's actually a
>   good way of finding things.)

Why is this an issue?  Is it because you "draw attention to yourself?"
If so, why is that a bad thing?

> * If you have only so much money to spend, and want multiple items, you're
>   better off waiting as long as you can.  For example, you have $100 to
>   spend; there are 10 games that you want; on each, you're willing to pay
>   as much as $20.  You can't bid $20 on all of them right away, as you
>   could be driven above your limit.  It's better to wait on these as long
>   as you can, and see how the first auctions go before you decide what to
>   do with the later ones.

But that isn't sniping -- that's just waiting a while before bidding
your maximum.  I'm talking about intentionally waiting until seconds
before the auction.

> * Bidding early has a tendency to get you into a bidding war with newbies
>   (who have a tendency to pay too much).  If you don't tip your hand you
>   minimize this risk from those people with low ratings who are willing to
>   pay WAY over value.

In my experience, these people rarely pay up and, being the second
bidder, I get the item anyway.  And using proxy bidding the way it was
meant to work means that you *don't* get into bidding wars.

> * Bidding early puts you at risk of ye olde bid-and-retract trick.
>   eBay has moved to reduce the viability of this trick, but it's still
>   something to keep in mind.

Huh?  What's that?  I'm unfamiliar with that practice...?

BTW, thanks for the detailed responses.  I still haven't been given an
acceptable proof for the legitimacy of sniping, but I appreciate the
willingness to help me understand why people do it.

I'll reiterate that sniping doesn't really bother me from the *auction*
standpoint -- when I bid my maximum, most of the time I see people
bidding at the last few seconds and losing because the proxy bids me
closer to my maximum by a buck or two.  What bothers me is *why* people
do it.  I guess I'd need a degree in psychology to try to understand...
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.