Jim, I know you said you had all the info you wanted on sniping, but I'll
share my experience anyway if anyone cares to listen.

When I first arrived on eBay, I was a total newbie.  Saw something I liked,
stuck a bid on it.  Not necessarily the max I'd go, I was still feeling out
the system.  But, long story short, a bunch of people saw me and immediately
started searching on my ID.  "He's found some good stuff, let's watch what
he's bidding on so we'll know about it too."  Nothing wrong with doing that.
I search on other people's IDs all the time.  Because you can.

I learned fast.  Proxy bidding is great, but it leaves you vulnerable to
someone who's easily willing to outbid your maximum.  The Meretzky/Adams
photo Stephen refers to was my second win on eBay, and I ended up paying
about $48 for it because another collector found it by scoping my activity.
(That was high at the time, but I would've easily bid that amount now.)  The
solution I came up with was, wait to bid until it's closer to the time the
auction closes, so there's less chance of someone seeing your bid attached
to an item.  The snipe is the ultimate example of this tactic.  It works
great for poorly listed items ("Suspected Face-Mask Game by Info-Com") that
other bidders might not see... unless another known collector draws their
attention to it.

Fact: I've personally won more rare/valuable items using sniping than I have
without.