> How did you get your bid in exactly 3 seconds before auction end?

Because I'm very, very good.  B-)

Actually I just do the standard procedure: Two windows open, one with a
"place bid" button at the ready, the second my refresh window (with graphics
turned off so it loads faster).  Hit Ctrl-R repeatedly in the last minute,
switch windows and click when it gets down to about 10 seconds.

Sometimes there's a bit of a lag, so you cut it a few seconds closer than
planned.  I've actually had my bid time be the EXACT second the auction
closed, and I still won.  (Runner-up was PISSED! B-)

There are snipe services, such as VRane.com and eSnipe.com, that will
connect to eBay a specified number of seconds before the auction's close and
bid on your behalf.  You have to give them your user ID and password,
though, plus you're relying on their servers being up in addition to eBay's.
Personally I only use these if I'm not going to be home when the auction
closes.  I enjoy the heart-ramming adrenaline high you can only get from
sniping in person.