True, that would have made the deal even better  (As it is, I kept the
games, including the Starcross saucer, and sold the rest for about $600 more
than what I paid for it all).  However, "reserving" a bid isn't always the
right thing to do either.  I'll use myself as the example:

Let's say you tell me about a lot you plan to bid on.  I hadn't seen it yet.
So according to your plan I should back off.  However, I run a standard
series of searches once a week, and let's say it would have found that lot
as well.  Does that mean I should back off just because you found it a
couple of days before I did?  I don't think so.  That is less fair than
sniping.  Especially since there is nothing wrong with sniping.  There are
only three types of people that are negatively affected by sniping:

1)  Buyers who don't really put their maximum bid on the line.  If you try
to get a title at a bargain, and aren't willing to pony up your true
maximum, you are likely to get out-sniped.  Solution -- put your true
maximum, then you don't have to worry about snipers.  You'll either get it,
or it would have cost more than you were willing to pay.  This is also true
when sniping.
2)  Sellers.  You can argue that sniping lowers the chance of inflating the
price above normal auction value.  When two hard-headed people get into a
price war over an item it is good for the seller.  Sniping also keeps the
seller in the dark until the very end, causing them to be nervous about how
much they will make.  However, this is the nature of auctions in the real
world as well.  You never know what you're getting until the hammer drops.
Solution -- as a seller, I say none necessary.
3)  Ebay stock holders -- when items sell for more, Ebay earns more
commission.  Solution -- I'll leave that to eBay to figure out.

Sniping is a good tool for buyers, and you should learn to use it.

Regards,
Hugh