> Now, I don't really have a problem with people using my scans, provided
> they a) ask me before they do and b) make the bidders aware the image
> does not show the actual item. The latter because most of my images are
> heavily retouched to give perfect appearances - it would severely
> mislead buyers about the condition of the actual box sold.

I'm about the same way.  Got no problem with someone using a description if
they at least mention it came from my site.  However I don't like my pics
being used at all.  When people see a picture, they tend to assume that's
what's being auctioned, and sometimes neglect to even read the text.  I've
seen people show images of a shrinkwrapped game when selling an open one,
and of course you get the "here's what the box looks like even though I'm
only selling a loose disk" variety.

> Young lady relisted her items with the small addition "item relisted due
> to picture copyright issues" and they unfortunately then went unsold.
> The previous bidders did not feel inclined to bid again.

You got off easy.  One of my auction thieves' relist declared, "This auction
has been censored by some anonymous coward."  B-)  It didn't sell either.

> Lesson to learn: Ebay is *not* powerless and what holds true for
> pictures is also true for text. Both fall under copyright law if they
> are your original work.

eBay is actually very responsive to incidents like this.  In all the cases
I've reported they've taken the offending auctions down within a day.

> To prevent future incidents like this I now stamped most of my images
> with my URL and because of the growing number of people remote linking
> my images I started to block hits on them via .htaccess, when the
> referring URL does not come from my domain.

Right now I've got a query that pulls part of my vault page text, then
searches eBay for the exact text.  It's a random sample, but as I run it
several times a week, it usually catches plagiarists.