From: "Origin Museum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 4:01 PM
Subject: [SWCollect] New topic--Collectors UNITE!

> Although this talk about genres is fascinating, I'm gonna start a new
topic (I hope noone minds).

> I spent some time a few weeks ago talking to C.E. Forman on the phone.  We
covered a multitude of topics, but the two that were the most interesting
are below.  I'd like to get input on each of them.  Please post to this
topic if anyone is interested in either.

> 1.  C.E. and I got into a long discussion on how we store our collections.
We agreed that plastic baggies were a 'short-term' solution, and tried to
think up another (better) way to preserve our software for the long haul.
We agreed on the idea that if we could find some sort of inexpensive, clear,
plastic box of the clamshell variety, that would be ideal.  I searched the
net for anything that would match that description, but came up empty.  We
thought that if we could have a custom box made to a software collector's
exacting specifications, we may be able to have a plastics manufacturer
actually create our 'software collector's box in a limited run!  So, here
are the questions:

> *If you were able to have plastic boxes made to preserve your software,
what would be the specifications?(size, ie: LxWxH)
> *What type of box would they be?(clamshell, like an Ultima box, hinged, or
something else?)
> *How much would you pay for each box?
> *How many boxes would you buy in your first order?
>
> If we can suss out some agreeable details, and enough people were
interested in buying in large numbers, we *MAY* be able to make this happen.
I'm assuming the more that were ordered, the cheaper they would be.  I know
that if they were relatively cheap ($1.50 to $2.00 each), I would buy 200 of
these boxes immediately.  Please let me know what you all think of this.

> 2.  C.E. and I also spoke of the possibility of a software collector's
'meet and greet' at an agreed upon event.  We could get together to swap
stories, share a meal, and perhaps even bring along some of our prized
collectibles to show to each other!  The Philly Classic in Philadelphia this
March, or Dragon*Con in Atlanta this August could be possible locations.  I
assume that some of you would be interested in seeing the Museum's original
Akalabeth, or our genuine Wing Commander Kilrathi head!  If we could make
this happen, we could all at least go home with a ROMERO autograph (for a
nomial fee, perhaps?)  ;)

http://www.mail-archive.com/swcollect@oldskool.org/