On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 02:51  PM, Jim Leonard wrote:
[Snip]
I wasn't planning to charge for the DVD so I didn't think there would be legal
issues.
It doesn't matter if you charge for it or not. EA might not be able to get punitive damages, but their lawyers could kill your pocketbook. :-/

There's always the option of a "bootleg" where I don't charge for it
and don't put any names on it...  In any case I'll certainly ask.

I also have another Origin promotional tape, that was distributed to software stores circa 1989. They are cheaply made advertisements for old Origin games like Windwalker, Knights of Legend, 2400 AD, and another (no Ultima tho.) They were obviously made 'in-house', and they are not the best-produced commercials that I've ever seen, but they are an interesting look at the birth of computer game advertising. Again, if you get the permissions, I'd be glad to contribute! :)
Who would I talk to about that? EA or someone else? EA hadn't purchased
Origin by that time.
If the tapes were Origin property -- I don't see why they wouldn't be -- I imagine they all became EA's property when EA bought Origin. Other than Akalabeth and Lord British I can't think of anything that was negotiated as a separate property.

--

Edward Franks