I've been playing around and think maybe I have an answer to my own
question. But, since I haven't much confidence, what do you think of the
following Ralf?

identify -format "%[fx:a]" my.png

It seems to return 0 for ones with no alpha channel and 1 for ones with.

I had also come up with greping the output of identify -verbose, looking
for alpha:  in between the Channel depth: and Channel statistics:
headers, but obviously the -format is more elegant if it is going to be
a reliable way to determine if an alpha channel is present.

So my psudeocode algorithm would be something like

If identify -format "%[fx:a]" my.png  returns 1  Then do:
   convert my.png -quality 80 -fx "u*a" my.jpg
   convert my.png -channel matte -negate -separate -depth 8 -type
Grayscale myMask.png
   Put <clip id="my_mc" import="my.jpg" mask="myMask.png"/> in my simple
movie xml.

Else Do:
   convert my.png -quality 80 my.jpg
   Put <clip id="my_mc" import="my.jpg" /> in my simple movie xml.

Thanks,
Lynn