Actually ... I spoke to soon. I discovered this:

    identify -format "%[fx:a]" my.png

is not behaving as I initially thought. So maybe Ralf or someone else
knows a better fx expression to use?

>identify -verbose file.png | perl -pe 'while(<STDIN>){ if(/^\s.*alpha:
>(\w+)-bit/){print "$1";}}'

>Luke

Thanks for your post Luke! I didn't see your reply until I had already
figured out something similar, but seeing your post helped me see I was
on the right track.  I'm doing something in java with the -verbose
output for now, which isn't nearly as terse as perl but it works. Would
still prefer a -format expression if there is one.

Lynn

attachments from your system.