Hey David,

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 13:11 -0700, David Rorex wrote:
> <DefineText>...<TextRecord>...<glyphs>...<TextEntry glyph=1"
> advance="21">...etc.
>
> Is there any easy way I can actually extract this text?

the bad news it's doable but not *that* easy.

the good news is it proved to be an interesting little challenge to fill
my hacky evening, so now easy it is. at least if the SWF is very simple-
i'm unsure what happens if it uses more than one font, unicode/jis, or
something other than DefineText2, DefineFont2 and TextRecord6s. Although
at least for other TextRecord versions extending should be trivial;
dynamic text should be even easier. Unicode might already work :)

the trick is to use swfmill's XSLT feature and lookup the glyph's @map..
usage:
# swfmill xslt extract.xsl <your movie.swf> [output.txt]

hope this helps.

-dan