> On Aug 6, 2017, at 16:16, Michael Gottesman <mgottes...@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 6, 2017, at 11:11 AM, David Zarzycki via swift-dev
>> <swift-dev@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Unless I’m missing a build-script flag, it seems to me that compiling the
>> Swift stdlib with the unoptimized debug swift compiler takes about 15
>> minutes on a fast machine.
>
> I am assuming that you mean a debug swift compiler building an optimized
> stdlib?

Hi Michael,

I’m building the debug swift compiler via ./utils/build-script -r —debug-swift.
I assume, perhaps wrongly, that implies a debug stdlib.

>> Other than forcing the type checker to be optimized, what if any tricks can
>> I use to building the stdlib faster with the debug compiler? Is there a way
>> to tell Clang to enable the inliner and only the inliner during -O0 builds?
>> I have an anecdotal experiment[1] that suggests that this would yield
>> appreciably faster Swift stdlib builds with the debug compiler (and
>> selfishly speaking, I can tolerate the minor impact on debugging that
>> inlining does to otherwise unoptimized code).
>
> Are building LLVM in release + Swift in debug? I.e.:
>
> —release-debuginfo --debug-swift --force-optimized-typechecker

Yes, with the exception that I cannot use —force-optimized-typechecker because
I’m hacking on the type checker. Otherwise, this is what I’m doing to make
debug builds go as fast as possible:

./utils/build-script \
        --llvm-targets-to-build X86 \
        --skip-ios --skip-tvos --skip-watchos \
        --skip-build-benchmarks true \
        --build-swift-static-stdlib false \
        --build-swift-static-sdk-overlay false \
        --build-swift-dynamic-sdk-overlay false \
        --build-swift-stdlib-unittest-extra false \
        --extra-cmake-options \\-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-Werror=switch \
        -r \
        --debug-swift  \
        "$@"