> On Apr 5, 2016, at 3:04 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> What you're describing should be spelled `Self`, IMO. I think Tim intended
> `#Self` to mean the *static* type the code is declared inside (which is the
> same as Self unless you're in a class).

Yes, that is what I was aiming for. `#Self` would be a pretty much textual
replacement just like #file, etc. That is, I could imaging it being used in a
bunch of cases (not useful here, but just intending to enumerate the possible
uses I see):

class Foo {
        static let myClass: #Self.Type = #Self.self
        static let anInstance: #Self = #Self()

        static let defaultState = …

        var state = #Self.defaultState
}

The extra bit I was suggesting for allowing passing it in as a default argument
like #file is for assert/precondition would be useful to me too:

func globalFunc<SomeType: SomeProtocol>(callerType: SomeType.Type = #Self.self,
…)

which would only be callable inside a class/struct/enum context that conformed
to SomeProtocol (unless you explicitly passed a callerType that met the
requirements, of course). I’ve no idea if this latter bit is hard enough or
controversial enough to be its own proposal =)

-tim