> On Aug 9, 2016, at 1:59 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 9, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Kevin Ballard via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> The Rust language used to use a green thread model like Go (actually it
>> exposed a configurable threading interface so you could choose green threads
>> or OS threads). It also used segmented stacks like Go did. Over time, Rust
>> ended up dropping the segmented stacks because it significantly complicated
>> FFI without providing much, if any, benefit (and IIRC Go followed suite and
>> dropped segmented stacks somewhere around version 1.5), and then a little
>> while later Rust dropped green threads entirely. If you can find them, there
>> are lots of discussions of the pros and cons that were documented during
>> this process (on mailing lists, in IRC, possibly on Discourse, there's
>> probably at least one post about it in the Rust subreddit, etc). But
>> ultimately, it was determined that keeping this ability significantly
>> complicated the Rust runtime and it provided almost no benefit. The OS is
>> already really good at scheduling threads, and there's no memory savings
>> without segmented stacks (though the OS will map virtual pages for the stack
>> and only allocate the backing physical pages as the memory is touched, so
>> even if you have a 2MB stack, a new thread will only actually allocate
>> something like 8kb). And there are some pretty big downsides to green
>> threads, such as the fact that it significantly complicates the runtime
>> since all I/O everywhere has to be nonblocking and it has to be transparent
>> to the code, and FFI ends up as a major problem (even without segmented
>> stacks), because you have no idea if an FFI call will block. Green threading
>> libraries end up having to allocate extra OS threads just to continue
>> servicing the green threads when the existing threads are potentially
>> blocked in FFI.
>>
>> So ultimately, green threads really only make sense when you control the
>> entire ecosystem, so you can ensure the whole stack is compatible with green
>> threads and won't ever issue blocking calls, and even there there's not much
>> benefit and there's a lot of complexity involved.
>
> In addition to FFI, there's also no way for memory-mapped IO to be
> non-blocking (a page fault can only be handled by the kernel, after all).

Even buffered file I/O via read(2) and write(2) is blocking on most *nix
platforms. AFAIK there's some work being done on non-blocking buffered reads on
Linux, but it appears to be a completely new API distinct from the existing
epoll for sockets or aio_* for direct file I/O, and of course Darwin doesn't
have an equivalent.

Slava