I also strongly agree with this, I'd prefer version pinning to happen by
default, rather than with explicit command as it will make builds reproducible
by default.

I totally agree that we can rely on past experience with other package managers
(npm being the case), where pinning with a separate command caused more harm
than good.

Overall, I think that it would be great if Package.lock was created by default
when it's not present and be updated only with an explicit command for updating.

With best regards, Max.