> The big struggle I have is that if we go the other direction, and as a result
> people's semantic versions become poorly specified, we will never be able to
> recover. The converse is not true, if we start with this direction and
> realize it doesn't work, we can relax our behavior.

Forgot to touch on this. One interesting thing we can observe from the current
npm/yarn split is that because npm has set the tone about trusting semver
plenty of people will still follow this, but in my opinion it's mostly a matter
of them not being burned *yet*.

Whatever you decide is the right thing to do now will probably cement in users
minds for years to come, regardless of how easy it technically is to make a
change.

(Did I say yet that I'm pessimistic about these things?)