I’m fairly confident the author of the collection has to make those checks for
memory-safety, but in theory there’s wins in only doing the check once, and as
early as possible. Smaller values to pass, and less checks.

This is definitely micro-micro-optimization, though. Unlikely to matter for
most cases.