Hi David,

There were a few instances where this topic or similar came up at the Swift
Evolution List
<https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160905/026923.html>
 and Swift Users List
<https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-users/Week-of-Mon-20161010/003631.html>.

There’s even this interesting proposal
<https://github.com/luish/swift-evolution/blob/f99e325484a5b19ce4bab8eda18f284e4e250e7b/proposals/nnnn-more-lenient-collections-subscripts.md>
 that dwells with it while providing more lenient subscripts to collections.

BTW, I agree with you, having the range type split is somewhat confusing,
specially for those new to the language.

Best,

—A