> On Jan 25, 2017, at 1:35 PM, Jacob Bandes-Storch <jtban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Agreed, IMO it would be quite dangerous for "a ??= b" to mean anything other
> than "a = a ?? b".
>
> On another note, I don't see the value of "a? = b". I had never realized
> before that this works. Is this feature actually used in the wild? Should we
> consider removing it? (I could perhaps see some value if the assignment
> operator were overloadable, but it's not.)

The core semantics (that ? on an l-value still produces an l-value) fall out
from the ability to call a mutating method with a?.foo().  Once you have that,
you have to decide what it means to put such an l-value to the left of an
assignment operator, and we decided to make it Just Work™.  I agree that it is
not a particularly useful operation in idiomatic Swift, especially with simple
assignment (=), and we could consider just disallowing it.

It also comes up with optional properties, I think, which is something we
weren't always certain we were going to ban in native Swift (as opposed to
imported ObjC code, where they're a fact of life).

John.