> On Jan 26, 2017, at 13:02, Rick Mann via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for that, that's helpful.
>
> My concern, of course, is the obvious one: that we'll have to compromise on
> future functionality in order to not break ABI compatibility, or we'll have a
> painful transition when we do break it. While today it's suboptimal to ship
> copies of the runtime with each application, it's a working solution.
>
> I'd really like to make sure Swift can be fully introspective (soon), but I
> don't know how easy it will be to add that after the ABI is locked down.
> Maybe I'm just being alarmist. I'd also like to see the ability to replace
> code at run time.
>
> If all that is already accommodated by the current ABI, then I'm satisfied.
> But it seems like there's some concern about this, and I worry that locking
> down the ABI too early will make those additions MUCH harder in the future.

On a scale of "trivial" to "impossible", how difficult would it be to have a
mechanism for telling the compiler how to translate between major versions of
the ABI/stdlib? Could we ship app/libs with a small "shim" library for
backwards compatibility, if we had to? I mean it wouldn't be ideal, but if it's
possible, "works" is better than either "doesn't work" or "painted into a
corner", isn't it?

(In any case, this seems like a last resort... I bring it up not as a "proper"
solution, but as a possible "emergency" way out, if we realize in 2-3 years
that we locked some things down too soon.)

- Dave Sweeris