> On Feb 9, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Jens Alfke via swift-users
> <swift-us...@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 9, 2017, at 3:41 AM, Jan Neumüller via swift-users
>> <swift-us...@swift.org <mailto:swift-us...@swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I would prefer http://www.fudforum.org/ <http://www.fudforum.org/> that has
>> good mailing list support, too.
>
> Well, we appear to have completely opposite opinions on UI/usability. I took
> a look at fudforum and yeah, to my eyes it exemplifies the awful clutter
> that’s been a hallmark of web forums since before PHPBB. There’s so much
> visual noise it’s very hard to parse or to find anything. Clearly designed by
> a coder with a big hammer named “<table>”. I’m not a UI designer, but I’ve
> worked extensively with UI designers (I spent 15 years at Apple working on
> stuff like iChat and AppleScript) so I think I have some grounding in the
> field.
>
> I do believe, though, that whatever solution swift.org <http://swift.org/>
> switches to needs to have good email support. That way the people who hate
> the web UI, or who just don’t prefer to use the web for discussions, can keep
> using email as we do today. This is perfectly feasible to do; again,
> groups.io <http://groups.io/> is a good example.
>
> Here my concern is that I have not found a way to configure Discourse to make
> its email notifications work well as a substitute for a mailing list. I have
> admin privileges on a Discourse installation run by my employer, so I’ve
> looked through the entire admin UI for ways to improve the emails, and some
> of the problems don’t seem fixable by tweaking settings.
>
> At this point I’m going to shut up because it sounds like the decision has
> been made, and I don’t want to contribute to further bike-shedding.

I’ve been mostly silent in this conversation largely because I didn’t realize
it was leading up to a formal decision.  I wish it would have followed the
proposal process so it was clear to everyone that a decision was being
considered and this was our chance to offer input.

I really like the experience of participating in the community via email.  If I
knew a decision was being seriously considered I would have taken a closer look
at Discourse and likely offered more input.  I will be disappointed if the
experience of participating is not at least as good as it is using email.

One of the most important reasons I like using email is that Mail offers a
great experience on iPhone and iPad.  I am skeptical that a web-based forum
could offer the same level of convenience and efficiency for keeping up with
the community that email provides.

I hope that we do find a way to configure our tool (probably Discourse) so that
the email experience on iPhone and iPad does not suffer.  If we can meet that
criteria and *also* offer the advantages of a web-based tool I will be very
happy.  But I think the current email experience on iPhone and iPad should set
a minimum criteria that any tool must meet.