> [...]
>> convenient, and one could imagine some mixed Objective-C/Swift code bases
>> where this would save a lot of typing (of code)… at the cost of losing
>> static typing in the language. The presence of that one extension means I
>> can no longer rely on the safety guarantees Swift normally provides, for any
>> project that imports that extension and uses a subclass of NSObject. At
>> best, we as a community decide “don’t do that”; at worse, some nontrivial
>> fraction of the community decides that the benefits outweigh the costs (for
>> this type or some other), and we can no longer say that Swift is a strong
>> statically-typed language without adding “unless you’re using something that
>> adopts DynamicMemberLookupProtocol”.
>
> There are several commenters below to whom I would have liked to respond in
> the fullness of time, but time constraints would make doing so prohibitive.
> Since your message set off an abundance of discussion, I'll reply to the
> points you make here and, along the way, ask your forbearance to bring up and
> respond to some related concerns raised by others.
>
> I agree that the prospect above seems not ideal at all. On reading Chris's
> proposal, it never occurred to me that the intention was to support such
> retroactive conformance to these special protocols. Admittedly, such
> retroactive conformance is possible with all protocols--with the notable
> exception of those that require compiler synthesis of requirements. But
> Chris's protocols seemed magical enough (in the gut feeling sense) that I
> naturally assumed that retroactive conformance was never on the table. We
> would be justified in making that prohibition here, I think, although I'm not
> sure if Chris as proposal author feels the same way.
>
> Alternatively--and perhaps more elegantly--we could address this concern
> head-on by having, instead of `DynamicMemberLookupProtocol` and
> `DynamicCallable`, a magical class `DynamicObject` which all dynamic types
> must inherit from. It would then be clear by design that Swift types cannot
> be _retroactively dynamic_ in the sense that Chris proposes. I *think* the
> vast majority of bridged use cases can tolerate being `final class` types
> instead of `struct` types. I could be wrong though.
>
> Now, as to the possibility of failure: I agree also that eliding the
> possibility of lookup failure at the callsite requires further consideration.
> Some might agree that restricting dynamic features only to subclasses of a
> `DynamicObject` might be clear enough that we do not need to go further in
> this regard. I think all will agree that inventing new (to Swift) notations
> like "->" or "::" to denote dynamic lookup is rather awkward and not
> ergonomic. I wonder if it would be instead sufficient to require dynamic
> member lookup to return values of type `T!` (as in, IUOs). IUOs are, after
> all, designed to deal with similar situations in bridging from Obj-C, and are

I love the idea of a DynamicObject type instead of a protocol.

> [...]
>> none of the tooling assistance we rely on when writing such code will work
>> for Python interoperability. Examples:
>>
>> * As noted earlier, if you typo’d a name of a Python entity or passed the
>> wrong number of arguments to it, the compiler will not tell you: it’ll be a
>> runtime failure in the Python interpreter. I guess that’s what you’d get if
>> you were writing the code in Python, but Swift is supposed to be *better*
>> than Python if we’re to convince a community to use Swift instead.
>> * Code completion won’t work, because Swift has no visibility into
>> declarations written in Python
>> * Indexing/jump-to-definition/lookup documentation/generated interface won’t
>> ever work. None of the IDE features supported by SourceKit will work, which
>> will be a significant regression for users coming from a Python-capable IDE.
>>
>> Statically-typed languages should be a boon for tooling, but if a user
>> coming from Python to Swift *because* it’s supposed to be a better
>> development experience actually sees a significantly worse development
>> experience, we’re not going to win them over. It’ll just feel inconsistent.
>
> As I wrote in the earlier thread, I think this is the wrong way to reason
> about the use case--and a counterproductive one that effectively rejects the
> legitimacy of dynamic language interop support instead of working towards an
> optimal solution for it. Along those lines, some replies to your message
> literally question whether the user case is worthwhile to support at all,
> which I think entirely misses the mark.
>
> As Chris writes in his proposal, there are several areas (such as data
> science) where, to put it plainly, Python or another dynamic language is
> significantly better than Swift due to a much larger ecosystem of libraries,
> tools, and user communities, with sometimes decades of lead time. It is
> nonsensical to talk about how Swift is "supposed to be better" in any way
> whatsoever in that context. As diehard Swift users, we may be confident that
> the virtues of Swift's syntax, static typing, compiler smarts, protocol-based
> design, or whatever else offer opportunities for, say, data science libraries
> and tools to be better in the future, eventually. But to make this even
> possible involves first making Swift a viable language in which to work with
> current data science tools. Your top bullet point here reasons that one key
> flaw of Chris's proposal is that he has not somehow figured out how to make
> dynamic Python calls give compile-time Swift errors. If this is the minimum
> bar for Python interop, then as far as I can tell, it seems isomorphic to
> rejecting interop with dynamic languages altogether.
>
> It goes without saying that, in bridging between languages X and Y, much of
> X's native tooling will be inoperable, and much of Y's native tooling will
> not work. The solution is to build additional tools where necessary, not to
> argue that interop shouldn't be implemented in the first place.

I agree with everything that Xiaodi said. I believe that while it’s noble to
want to bring more type information (ala TypeScript) to dynamic languages, we
still need a simple way to dynamically call *at runtime* into dynamic
languages. That may cause runtime errors, but that’s what dynamic languages are
all about. I think it’s illusory to think that their nature can be profoundly
changed. Even TypeScript, which brings all this type information to JavaScript
still needs a way to call into non-typed interfaces: the compiler will be
helpless in protecting the user from some runtime errors, but that’s the price
you pay.