> On Dec 3, 2017, at 8:41 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On 3 Dec 2017, at 04:11, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution
>> <swift-evolution@swift.org> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPad

>>> Ok, then it appears you agree that something like anyobject dispatch is
>>> necessary for effective dynamic language interop.

>>> I believe that adding explicit syntax would be counterproductive to your
>>> goals, and would not make dynamic lookup syntax more clear.  I assume that
>>> you would also want the same thing for DynamicCallable too, and operator
>>> overloads, subscripts, and every other operation you perform on these
>>> values, since they all have the exact same behavior.
>>>
>>> If we required some syntax even as minimal as “foo.^bar” and "baz^(42)”,
>>> that change would turn this (which uses runtime failing or IUO return
>>> values like AnyObject):
>>>
>>>     let np = Python.import("numpy")
>>>     let x = np.array([6, 7, 8])
>>>     let y =  np.arange(24).reshape(2, 3, 4)
>>>
>>>     let a = np.ones(3, dtype: np.int32)
>>>     let b = np.linspace(0, pi, 3)
>>>     let c = a+b
>>>     let d = np.exp(c)
>>>     print(d)
>>>
>>> into:
>>>
>>>     let np = Python.import("numpy")
>>>     let b = np^.array^([6, 7, 8])
>>>     let y =  np^.arange^(24)^.reshape^(2, 3, 4)
>>>
>>>     let a = np^.ones^(3, dtype: np^.int32)
>>>     let b = np^.linspace^(0, pi, 3)
>>>     let c = a+^b
>>>     let d = np^.exp^(c)
>>>
>>> This does not improve clarity of code, it merely serves to obfuscate logic.
>>>  It is immediately apparent from the APIs being used, the API style, and
>>> the static types (in Xcode or through static declarations) that this is all
>>> Python stuff.
>>
>> It may be immediately apparent when the types involved are obviously
>> dynamic, such as in this example where Python.import is explicitly used.
>> However, my concern is less about the intended use case of dynamic language
>> interop than I am that this feature will be generally available to all types
>> in Swift.
>>
>> This is big change from AnyObject dispatch.  It opens up the dynamism to
>> types and contexts that are not necessarily obviously using dynamic lookup,
>> callable, etc.  Maybe this won’t turn out to be a problem in practice but I
>> still think it’s a legitimate concern.
>
> If dynamism if restricted to subclasses of a DynamicObject type, like Xiaodi
> suggested earlier, then we can protect ourselves from this dynamic dispatch
> being generally available to all types in Swift.

I like the idea of a class type as the marker.

If we did expose the protocols that DynamicObject conform to, then I would like
to see an attribute that would be required at the declaration site.

@dynamic
class MyTypo: SomeDynamicProtocol {...}

I also like the idea of having
 @dynamic subscript(...)

I’d like the declaration site to be explicit.

The calling site should just be dot syntax like AnyObject.