Specifically WRT to double quotes for characters, the Commonly Rejected Changes
doc (https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/commonly_proposed.md)
says, "Swift takes the approach of highly valuing Unicode. However, there are
multiple concepts of a character that could make sense in Unicode, and none is
so much more commonly used than the others that it makes sense to privilege
them. We'd rather save single quoted literals for a greater purpose (e.g.
non-escaped string literals)."

Otherwise, off the top of my head I'm not sure. If it's a particularly
controversial decision, there's a fair chance it's come up on the
swift-evolution list, though, so maybe search its archives?

Hope that helps,
- Dave Sweeris