On 4/11/2016 4:29 PM, Philip Race wrote:

On 4/6/16, 1:23 PM, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:

Hello,

Could you review the updated fix:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8132119/webrev.09

- TextUIDrawing interface and its default implementaion BasicTextUIDrawing class are added
 - font metrics argument description is updated

On 31/03/16 23:23, Phil Race wrote:
Another webrev where you have to slip past 40_ files to get to the two that really matter :-) I would have put SwingUtilities2.java and TextUIDrawing.java as the first files.
   Updated.

Some of what I have to say here is more along the lines of things to think about rather than things that are wrong .. but there are also maybe some things
that need to be fixed.

Is javax.swing.plaf really the right package for the new class ?
I suppose it is for the use by the UI classes so maybe its right.

Should the methods be taking "double" instead of "int" for location ?
This means the measurement APIs too.
None of the JDK 1.2 text APIs use ints. That is all 1.0 legacy.
So if Swing internally wants to use ints that is OK but maybe the API
should be floating point (double).
The provided methods use Graphics as argument which only has drawString(String, int, int) method. If it is possible it is better to add the methods with float arguments and Graphics2D later.

Would that  help hi-dpi at all ?
The hi-dpi support mostly does not require changes in Swing. What it does just scales graphics using default transform from graphics configuration.

Yes, but in another bug you are dealing with a problem positioning
the caret because of (somewhat) similar issues where coordinates have been
rounded to an integral. A floating point value allows you to say that
this is 25.5 in user-space, even it if is 51.0 in device space.

   It needs some more investigation.

What I have now is Swing uses font metrics to calculate a string width (FontMetrics.charsWidth(...)) which sums up float char values. The difference between font metrics used by Swing and font metrics from graphics passed to paint method is that the fist has null frc.tx matrix and the second one has a matrix with scales 2 on HiDPI display. The returned char width by the font metrics with null transform has value 7 for char 'a' (linear advance is 6.67 and xAdvance is 7). The char width for the font metrics with scaled transform is 6.5 for the same font and char. FileFontStrike requests glyph metrics and gets linear advance 13.35 (dev transform is taken into account) xAdvance 13 - and apply the reverse transform. The result is 13 / 2 = 6.5.

And this bothers me because a result for applying the tx transform and inverting it is different than just use the identity transform. There are definitely problems with advance rounding but it seems they are placed out of the Swing area.

I suppose it would add over-head since all the existing code uses int
and we are no worse off and can add double methods later if we want to.

Regarding FontMetrics we need to add a caution that is must be a FontMetrics
*obtained from the correct font and graphics*.
   Updated.

 i.e what about attributes on the font such as "tracking" ?
or on the graphics such as FRACTIONALMETRICS
It looks like Swing might already fail if that were used.

Look at this code :-

public static int stringWidth(JComponent c, FontMetrics fm, String string){
        if (string == null || string.equals("")) {
            return 0;
        }
        boolean needsTextLayout = ((c != null) &&
(c.getClientProperty(TextAttribute.NUMERIC_SHAPING) != null));
        if (needsTextLayout) {
            synchronized(charsBufferLock) {
                int length = syncCharsBuffer(string);
needsTextLayout = isComplexLayout(charsBuffer, 0, length);
            }
        }
        if (needsTextLayout) {
            TextLayout layout = createTextLayout(c, string,
fm.getFont(), fm.getFontRenderContext());
            return (int) layout.getAdvance();
        } else {
            return fm.stringWidth(string);
        }
    }

The only thing Swing is looking at is one TextAttribute and whether we have complex text. That is not enough. This is an existing implementation issue but one we should fix here.
You need to examine all the methods for similar issues.
  I created an enhancement for this:
JDK-8153662 SwingUtilities2.drawString()/getStringWidth()/clipString() should use more text attributes

you mean bug ? I upgraded it to P3 because it matters a lot more now
with this public API

I do not think that it is a bug because the main request was to have methods which draw strings in the same way as it is done by Swing L&Fs. This will allow to have custom UI component which mimic to the standard L&Fs.

It is also can be considered from the following point of view: is the proposed request to use more text attributes more important for standard Swing L&F or for custom L&F. It seems is not the first case because Swing lives with the current implementation for the long time. For the second case we provide the public TextUIDrawing interface which a developer can override and use any text attributes that are necessary.

The usage of default methods is worth thinking about.
There is a significant subjective element to this and I've really thought only myself about using them for the case where default methods are useful when you need to extend an
existing interface.

But I can imagine they may also be handy when someone would typically want to implement only one or two out of a larger number in an interface and the default and you for some reason don't want to do that with an abstract class (notably you want an other class to
be able to implement the interface).

So what do I think about the case where the interface is brand new and
what you've done is more or less implement a concrete class, but it's one that
can be mixed in to another class ? Is that an appropriate use ?

Maybe the test to pass in that case is whether the default implementation is going to be satisfactory for 90% of uses. If they are frequently over-ridden
it would not be an appropriate use.
Using this argument it seems if someone wants to implement the TextUIDrawing it needs to override all its methods to keep them in sync. Because of this I moved the TextUIDrawing implementation to the separate javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTextUIDrawing class.

Fair enough although I wonder if by the same argument there is any point
in exposing BasicTextUIDrawing as a public class ? I don't have a strong
objection to exposing it, except that the name "Basic..." seems to invite subclassing ..
'Basic' in this case refers to the BasicLookAndFeel. All UI components for the Basic L&F has the Basic prefix. Basic L&F usually provides some basic implementation which can be used by others L&F.

   Thanks,
   Alexandr.

-phil

Based on that criterion I think it is OK to use here.

Another thought:
When you add default implementations you should also be on the hook
for explaining what that does. It is a deeper contract than you would
otherwise have as an interface and maybe needs to be an @implNote
or you need to call out the default implementation.
ie there is what someone must code to satisfy the contract of the
interface and what is a behaviour in the default method ?
I added the addition "using text properties and anti-aliasing hints from the provided component" description to the BasicTextUIDrawing class. There is always a question how many details a method description should contain. It is not clear for me should, for example, the used numeric shaper be listed in the description or not? Especially when there is an enhancement that the methods implementation should take more text attributes into account.

Also here is a link to some comments by Brian Goetz on default methods :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28681737/java-8-default-methods-as-traits-safe/28684917#28684917

75 * No character is underlined if the index is negative or greater 76 * than the string length {@code (index < 0 || index >= string.length())}
  77      * or if the char value specified at the given index
  78      * is in the low-surrogate range.

I suppose if you point at the last char and it is a hi-surrogate nothing is underlined in that case either.

But I find the whole writing of this a bit inadequate as if you are going to this kind of detail you perhaps also need to say what happens in a complex script where what happens is two unicode characters end up as a ligature,
and/or perhaps you aren't even pointing to a base character.
Maybe it is in fact over-specified. I see that the implementation draws
the underline itself rather than delegate to TextLayout. This might
make sense for performance reasons where it is simple text but some day
this maybe should be re-examined and so I would not over-specify it.

How about :
"The underline will be positioned at the base glyph which
represents the valid char indicated by the index.
If the char index is not valid or is not the index of a
valid unicode code point then no underline is drawn"
  Updated.

  Thanks,
  Alexandr.

-phil.