On 04/19/2016 01:08 AM, Alexandr Scherbatiy wrote:
On 4/11/2016 4:29 PM, Philip Race wrote:

On 4/6/16, 1:23 PM, Alexander Scherbatiy wrote:

Hello,

Could you review the updated fix:
  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8132119/webrev.09

- TextUIDrawing interface and its default implementaion BasicTextUIDrawing class are added
 - font metrics argument description is updated

On 31/03/16 23:23, Phil Race wrote:
Another webrev where you have to slip past 40_ files to get to the two that really matter :-) I would have put SwingUtilities2.java and TextUIDrawing.java as the first files.
   Updated.

Some of what I have to say here is more along the lines of things to think about rather than things that are wrong .. but there are also maybe some things
that need to be fixed.

Is javax.swing.plaf really the right package for the new class ?
I suppose it is for the use by the UI classes so maybe its right.

Should the methods be taking "double" instead of "int" for location ?
This means the measurement APIs too.
None of the JDK 1.2 text APIs use ints. That is all 1.0 legacy.
So if Swing internally wants to use ints that is OK but maybe the API
should be floating point (double).
The provided methods use Graphics as argument which only has drawString(String, int, int) method. If it is possible it is better to add the methods with float arguments and Graphics2D later.

Would that  help hi-dpi at all ?
The hi-dpi support mostly does not require changes in Swing. What it does just scales graphics using default transform from graphics configuration.

Yes, but in another bug you are dealing with a problem positioning
the caret because of (somewhat) similar issues where coordinates have been
rounded to an integral. A floating point value allows you to say that
this is 25.5 in user-space, even it if is 51.0 in device space.

   It needs some more investigation.

What I have now is Swing uses font metrics to calculate a string width (FontMetrics.charsWidth(...)) which sums up float char values. The difference between font metrics used by Swing and font metrics from graphics passed to paint method is that the fist has null frc.tx matrix and the second one has a matrix with scales 2 on HiDPI display. The returned char width by the font metrics with null transform has value 7 for char 'a' (linear advance is 6.67 and xAdvance is 7). The char width for the font metrics with scaled transform is 6.5 for the same font and char. FileFontStrike requests glyph metrics and gets linear advance 13.35 (dev transform is taken into account) xAdvance 13 - and apply the reverse transform. The result is 13 / 2 = 6.5.

And this bothers me because a result for applying the tx transform and inverting it is different than just use the identity transform. There are definitely problems with advance rounding but it seems they are placed out of the Swing area.

I am not sure if you are implying a bug in the font code, but there is none that I see
from the above.

There are several distinct issues here
1) You must specify the device transform, unless you are requesting and using linear advances. 2) Linear advance is not generally used by Swing since it implies unhinted text 3) Rounding of advances back to user space is OK in the case of hinted advances and identity transform - ie the traditional Swing case - but in the case like that you describe where the device pixel advance is 13 for a (2.0,2.0) device scale then the translation back to user space can't express that accurately if it only has int to work with,

If Swing is not using the same device transform in calculating the advance as it is when drawing then that is a bug . That was the point of the comment we added below about obtaining the correct FontMetrics .. our L&Fs should be doing that as well as admonishing
others to do so.

I suppose it would add over-head since all the existing code uses int
and we are no worse off and can add double methods later if we want to.

Regarding FontMetrics we need to add a caution that is must be a FontMetrics
*obtained from the correct font and graphics*.
   Updated.

 i.e what about attributes on the font such as "tracking" ?
or on the graphics such as FRACTIONALMETRICS
It looks like Swing might already fail if that were used.

Look at this code :-

public static int stringWidth(JComponent c, FontMetrics fm, String string){
        if (string == null || string.equals("")) {
            return 0;
        }
        boolean needsTextLayout = ((c != null) &&
(c.getClientProperty(TextAttribute.NUMERIC_SHAPING) != null));
        if (needsTextLayout) {
            synchronized(charsBufferLock) {
                int length = syncCharsBuffer(string);
needsTextLayout = isComplexLayout(charsBuffer, 0, length);
            }
        }
        if (needsTextLayout) {
            TextLayout layout = createTextLayout(c, string,
fm.getFont(), fm.getFontRenderContext());
            return (int) layout.getAdvance();
        } else {
            return fm.stringWidth(string);
        }
    }

The only thing Swing is looking at is one TextAttribute and whether we have complex text. That is not enough. This is an existing implementation issue but one we should fix here.
You need to examine all the methods for similar issues.
  I created an enhancement for this:
JDK-8153662 SwingUtilities2.drawString()/getStringWidth()/clipString() should use more text attributes

you mean bug ? I upgraded it to P3 because it matters a lot more now
with this public API

I do not think that it is a bug because the main request was to have methods which draw strings in the same way as it is done by Swing L&Fs.

It seems like a bug to me

This will allow to have custom UI component which mimic to the standard L&Fs.

It is also can be considered from the following point of view: is the proposed request to use more text attributes more important for standard Swing L&F or for custom L&F. It seems is not the first case because Swing lives with the current implementation for the long time. For the second case we provide the public TextUIDrawing interface which a developer can override and use any text attributes that are necessary.

We aren't talking about a separate API to provide text attributes, we are talking about the
ones that are part of the font and the implementation is not respecting.

-phil.