I think it should work, the step will counts from the default value.

So currently:
1. if the user set default value to X1 and then he iterates forward 100 times then he
will get some X2. During this calculation, he could get "100" rounding issues.
2. If later the user decides iterates backward then most probably he will not get X1, and
the amount of possible "rounding issues" will be 200.

If the user will repeat steps 1. and 2. then each time the values will "float".

If we will use counter then in the worst case we will get only two roundings
per step: X1+step*100 = X2(if we will use fma we will get only one for every
step).

It will not solve all issues but at least will make the iteration "stable".