    James> I was wondering if anyone has successfully implemented a table cell editor

    James> which has a pop-up 'calander' so users can edit dates via this calander.

I haven't implemented a "popup", but I once implemented a JTextField that
presents a date/time value in the field, which can be interactively manipulated
with the arrow keys (left/right to move the text cursor between fields, and
up/down to increment/decrement values).  As the component is just a JTextField,
it's easy to set up a cell editor with it.

As a bonus, it automatically configures itself for the current locale, although
I've only tested it in "western" locales.

This component, called the "DateTimeEditor" was a contribution to the book
"Swing", from Manning Publications.  If you don't want to purchase the book,
you can read the online edition (and find the code for the component) at
<http://manning.spindoczine.com/sbe/>.