From: swinog-boun...@lists.swinog.ch [mailto:swinog-boun...@lists.swinog.ch] On
Behalf Of Fredy Kuenzler
Sent: Donnerstag, 5. März 2009 19:08
To: swi...@swinog.ch
Subject: Re: [swinog] BGP over xDSL ... is evil? says who?

Reza Kordi schrieb:
> Thank you all for the cool ideas and even better quotes that I received
> today.
>
> Of course I understand that some comments were coming from those who are
> making their profits specially on BGP interconnects.
>
> "If you need BGP buy my expensive LL is the wrong idea pal."

To clarify: I don't consider BGP over xDSL a bad idea because xDSL gives
less revenue. It's purely from a technical perspective. BGP over xDSL will
flap way more often than any other connectivity. Think of 10000 geeks
globally get their ASN and PI space and cannot afford proper connectivty and
get it done via xDSL - we will see a massive increase of BGP updates in the
global routing table, which requires stronger routing boxes. That's the only
reason why we don't sell it, even though we could have made quite some money
in the past.

Everybody: please don't offer BGP over DSL polluting the BGP table for CHF
20 or 40 net revenue. There are other redundancy options and backup
solutions using xDSL.

The BGP table contains today ~275k prefixes, and is still growing. Common
routers like Cisco 7206VXR cannot hold the table for ages anymore, and
filtering techniques with all the disadvantages need to be implemented.
Remember http://www.swinog.ch/meetings/swinog7/BGP_filtering-swinog.ppt - in
case you haven't experienced the old times of a 70k-BGP table.

F.