well i wonder really, whats so bad about dsl ? xdsl is not enough specific,
ghdsl, sdsl, hdsl ..
that are all leased line version of dsl. if that troubles even the SC modem
will trouble.
i brought my link up .. and it stayed up for years, except as in front of TIX-1
the cables where
under water.

using some adsl/vdsl is not so a good idea, as the uplink may be to slow,and
the stability of
those setup would shure end up in flapping. if the backbone of SC fails CES and
even A/V-
DSL variants will fail ..
So this redundancy is not the right way.

btw, about expensive router, i dont think on the client side is an fullfeed
needed. an second
hand router will lower the bill and doing the job as well.

i got asked once from a client to have bgp on his cable connection and an ADSL
connection
.. the only thing he stopped bothering me was to give him an estimated price
for the
equipment ;-)

using an 2 uplink firewall like the symantec or whatever will do the job
better, and an email
relay in front on the isp side will send to both ip's. with dyndns services it
would even work if
both connection are dynamic.
positive story, this will lead to loadsharing, negative about that sometimes
the way the
connection goes is not under controll. Like p2p programms which are open more
than one
connection to the same destination. but set to failover only will work in any
cases.

Roger