Hey Jeroen,

> SPF is only a part of a solution to the battle of spam.

SPF isn't suited to combat SPAM at all (including the whole other DKIM etc
enchilada), since it's quite trivial for
spammers to define these records correctly in throwaway domains. Thus, no
reasonable spam filter can honour (in a
positive way) the presence of an SPF record, they can only punish the
connection if there is an SPF record and the
connection is in violation of that record. The really only benefit you could
get from SPF is some kind of antispoofing
protection, but at least in my experience, that is hardly ever a real problem
to begin with.

> It helps a lot to combat broken setups.
>
> If a setup is broken, they are not worthy of receiving mail in the first
> place.
>
> Thus, if you hate on SPF, I can only conclude you have shot yourself in the
> foot a lot with it.

No, I hate SPF because it breaks basic SMTP relaying, or in more enduser speak:
redirected mails. Mail is _NOT_ always
delivered directly from origin to target, it is quite frequent, that mails get
redirected to 3rd party systems.
Some SPF advocates just accept their mails failing because they consider mail
redirects to be evil. Fine. To really fix
those redirect issues, _all_ possibly relaying servers would have to adopt some
kind of sender rewriting scheme, which
as far as I recall, can blow up sender email addresses to sizes that will
exceed RFC standards in very few iterations.
Also, in these cases the relaying server will originate 3rd party mails with
its own domain name, possibly turning
it into a spam funnel. So, for me, SPF is broken by design, and no amount of
additional tinkering around its pitfalls
will fix that.

Cheers,
Markus