hi john

at the time where i wrote the email (19:21) there was no information
available from M$.
thx for the link now.

> And they all look pretty gnarly.  Just for fun, we just got word
> from M$ today that the fixes from bulletin MS03-039, while they
> prevent remove code execution for that particular RPCSS-DCOM
> vulnerability (lovsan aka msblast.exe and lovsan.c, aka teekids.exe)
> still leave windows boxes vulnerable to DOS attacks.  The latest
> publicized fix I see is still KB824146.

i heard this also on the ISS and securityfocus page. there are also some
exploits / proof-of-concepts in the wild.

> In the meantime, it might be an idea for you
> provider guys to keep router ACLs handy for the following ports:
>
> 135/TCP  139/TCP 445/TCP 593/TCP
> 135/UDP 137/UDP 138/UDP 445/UDP

yes, we're also filtering those ports now on our routers - but only for a
short time, until we can be 'more or less' sure, that most of the customers
have upgraded their systems.
additionally I block 1433/1434 (UDP), because of possible new SQL slammers
etc.
i'm currently preparing a newsletter to our customers to inform them about
those new microsoft bugs.
why can microsoft not develop a software which has as few bugs as possible?
i think they produce the bugs because they want to sell their new 'security
concept'

> Just to cheer you up, have a look at
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/cdc.web/

on my next holiday trip i will read that 'big paper' :)

> Game over, man.

yeah, lets shut down the internet. could you pull the plug? :)

-steven

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Maillist-Archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/swinog%40swinog.ch/