> Considering the price tag of an NPE-G1 with a 7206VXR chassis around
> it, it fares really poorly against any server-class P-IV/Opteron board
> with PCI-X GigE cards.  With FreeBSD you get 500kpps easily and with
> some little tuning you can drive it up to over 700kpps.

I can confirm this. We made some tests with an Intel 7501 Board and get
around 780 Mbit/s routed traffic over the two network cards on FreeBSD
4.10. I'm sure we will get an even better performance with FreeBSD 5.3.

At the moment I'm running some tests with FreeBSD "Router" based on Intel
Network Cards.

Regards
        Erich
--
* Erich Hohermuth IP Engineer - SolNet (AS 9044) PGPKEY-46A08FCB *