http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-cbs-announces-cbs-radio-sale-20160315-story.html

Declining market share apparently is the culprit behind the decision to
sell or spin off the radio outlets. "The decision marks the end of an era
and highlights the waning influence of commercial radio, which is no longer
considered a growth industry. Young adults spend more time listening to
digital music files, podcasts and subscription Internet radio services such
as Spotify and Pandora."

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/morning_roundup/2016/03/wip-kyw-wogl-other-cbs-radio-stations-up-for-sale.html

The Philadelphia market will undoubtedly be reshapen, given there are 6
stations in play. KYW-1060 News Radio shares news operations with KYW-TV-3,
and would have to move operations regardless of any format change. Even
though the 22-minute news cycle sometimes annoys me with the lack of
attention to national and international news events, I would miss not
having a radio news outlet in this market. I can't think of any other
Philadelphia radio station that has local news coverage. I would listen to
KYW in stereo while driving out near Saint Louis, Indianapolis and Chicago.
WPHT-1210 is more widely heard than KYW. Daytime coverage (in the car)
reaches north of Boston.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/03/sale_of_cbs_radio_stations_would_reshape_boston_airwaves

The selling of 5 stations would recast Boston's dial. Notably, 50 kw ckear
channel WBZ-1030 News Radio, like WPHT, is heard at night in most places
east of the Rockies. Its daytime reach extends to at least Baltimore, and
the traffic and weather reports gives one an early warning as one leaves
the New York City area.

And New York City would lose the news outlets of WCBS-880 and WINS-1010,
sharing a common news facility (someone would have to move). WCBS-880 has
daytime coverage on the car radio into Maine and to at least Baltimore and
Harrisburg. I always thought WCBS did a better job of covering national and
some international events.

And KMOX-1120 News Radio in St. Louis is another 50 kw clear channel heard
throughout the USA. It covered the Ferguson riots. Ditto for WBAl-1090
Baltimore covered the Baltimore chaos. Ibid for WBBM-780 Chicago, covering
the Chicago disturbances over the decades. Toss in 50 kw clear KOA-850
Denver -- all of these I've listened to for decades -- and the outlook for
news radio is grim.

These and other CBS all news radio stations, most all high-powered outlets,
each covering wide areas of the country will be sorely missed by listeners
travelling in vehicles or listening on smartphones and tablets. I don't see
any media group buying the portfolio en masse. The few large media groups
-- I'll pick on Greater Media as an example -- already own multiple
stations in any given market. The FCC has a limitation on the number of
stations that may be owned by a company in a single market. Undoubtedly the
ownership limitation would be exceeded in many markets. There would be some
buying and selling of lesser properties in markets as some media companies
attempt to swap around outlets to pick up the clear channel AM outlets to
gain coverage. The unwinding of the radio network will take years. Given
the cut in the FCC's budget over recent years, I can't see any paperwork
being fast-tracked. I don't know anyone else with the resources to carry on
the wide-spread full time local news radio coverage offered by the CBS
Radio network. It is a shame.

Nuts.